Tips For Keeping Your Pooch Calm During Fireworks
While firework shows can be a blast for us, our canine companions might not have the same reaction to the loud noises coming from our local firework exhibits this 4th of July! Here are some simple and easy tips to help keep your dog calm this holiday –
- Wear him out! That’s right – get Fido exhausted an hour or so before the celebrations begin. Whether it’s going on a nice long walk together or playing in the house or yard, make sure it’s more activity than he’s used to. It will make it much harder for him to concentrate on the loud noises once he’s “dog-tired.”
- Keep him indoors! It’s never a good idea to bring your furry friend to the firework celebrations because he could get lost. Try to keep him indoors during the celebration (with a human companion if possible) to keep him comfortable and safe.
- Keep him on a leash! This will give you more control and help ensure Fido won’t run off if he gets spooked from the noises.
- Use calming scents! We know how much dogs love using their noses – so fill your home with relaxing scents like lavender to help keep him unruffled!
- Always make sure he has an I.D.! Ensure your pooch has his tags and microchip up to date in case he does get lost this holiday, this will help bring him home safely!